Tech Miscellanea

Friday, September 5, 2008


Google Chrome

We've been playing with Google Chrome a bit, but don't yet see anything special enough about it to switch from Firefox/Opera.  Anyone have an opinion on it?  Is it any more stable?  I need something where I can have 20 tabs open and lots of applications running at once. 

Project Playlist

I like the Project Playlists many people have embedded on their blogs, but the whole concept worries me a bit.  The RIAA is suing Project Playlist for copyright infringement.  As I understand it, Project Playlist merely collects links to supposedly legal sources of the music and makes it possible for bloggers to embed it, so it is not like peer to peer file sharing.  Moreover, the lawsuit may be simply a prelude to Project Playlist licensing the music.  

But the RIAA has sued about 20,000 people for file sharing.  Although many settled, one jury in my hometown of Duluth, MN awarded the RIAA $222,000 against a woman who shared 24 tracks in her Kazaa folder.  (The judge in that case is expected to declare a mistrial soon.)

So I'm a little paranoid about Project Playlist.  Are there any alternatives where you can compile and embed playlists of legal MP3s?  I usually buy mine from Amazon. 

1 Comment:

Minmex said...

Chrome isn't bad by any means, but nothing you can't already get in Firefox or Opera. Anything is better than MSIE. Google will continue to eat MS's lunch for some time to come.